BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:51:34 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2004 10:40:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Surely does build character.  I thought I might get a rise out of you,
but I did not mean to offend, or to question your knowledge of cold.
And I do think you have a certain sophistication that I admire, Me, too.
although, I was not directing that comment specifically at you.  Wet or
dry cold really does make an awful lot of difference, and your cold is
quite a bit damper than ours.  I haven't figured this one out, being a
newcomer (only 27 years) in this lousy climate.  Makes me wonder if you have to be a
native...or just stupid.  Can any of you smart fellers explain to me whether
(and why) it is indeed sometimes too cold to snow?  That's another one I
haven't figured out.  Or is that another myth, like tipping waitpersons, that I've
been suckered into believing?

Growing up at about the same time, I remember girls always wearing
skirts. I don't remember whether they HAD to wear skirts in elementary
school, but I do remember that in Junior High (8th grade, to be specific, I think)
the requirement that girls wear skirts was suddenly dropped when miniskirts
came in. I also remember that girls of my age at that time wore some sort of
underwear with little short, frilly legs, but now wonder whether it was related to
the stockings they wore before panty hose came in.  Can any of you with (or
without) experience in the FM/CFM/HMFM shoe department shed some belated light
on this? I don't think I gave it much thought early on, and I'm sure my
thoughts had very little to do with weather.  (I'd not yet received my sensitivity
training from Ralph). So you remember way back into the dark ages, huh?  I
remember was watching kids on TV
from far off places in the west, where boys wore blue-jeans to school! What
was wrong with blue jeans?   Our neighbors, who went to Catholic school, had to
wear some kind of dark gray, speckly corduroys, which I got as hand-me-downs,
and the notion of school uniforms always struck me as odd.  I do remember one
of the few times I ever prevailed upon the 'rents (specifically mom) to get
me any kind of stylish attire, I wore my new Wellington boots to elementary
school and got told I couldn't wear them again the next day. That was not
permitted in Connecticut! So what did you wear, Mr. Fancy Pants-- knickerbockers?  I
don't remember that there was anything to wear BUT jeans, except for the days
when there was a Cub Scout meeting and one had to wear one's uniform (no doubt
the young ladies looked forward to our dashing appearances) with the little
button-up/down pockets.

Those skirts could explain a lot of the anger you females unleashed in
the 60's.  Frozen giblets!  Giblets?  Aren't they a good deal further north,
anatomically speaking? Or are you talking about REAL cold? My recollection
(as a native Southern Californian, and one who lived in warm places until the
age of 23) of The Crankiness isn't Iimited to Female Persons from Frosty Climes;
seems to me more like universal, permanent PMS.
Mr. Sensitive