BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pamela Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 09:19:54 -0400
Speaking of spiders, we had an interesting story this week.  The ex-Mr. Pam found a brown turantula in his driveway a few weeks back.  He got it in a bucket, then eventually put it into my old Beta tank to keep as a temporary pet.  He had Jim (the child who turned 15 this week) ask people at school to see if anyone wanted it.

Apparently, Jim found it a home because on Monday night when I went to retrieve him from his father's house, he comes out with said turantula saying, "Mr. B (the bio teacher) is gonna take it."  No forwarning to mother that this thing was going to be in her car, and then in her house overnight.  Like there was no problem with it.  Mind you, I had a short stint of working in a department store with a turantula in the pet department.  Damn thing got away and we didn't find it for 2 weeks.  It found a home in the storage room and was quite content when we did find it.

So, of course, here I am with this thing in a tank with a slightly warped 1x6 on top thinking where the hell am I gonna keep it overnight where I know the cats won't think it's a new play toy.  So, it goes with a 2-fisted rock sitting on top into the living room - the one with french doors that we keep closed all the time because we don't want the cats to piss on the couch and chair we spent a fortune on last year.  They don't care that furniture doesn't look like a litter box.

The next morning, we transport the spider to the school.  Explain to the teacher that the ex grow up in Phoenix and said it looks a lot like one from Arizona.  His eyes pop out a bit as he says, "Then I really better make sure the lid it tight."  Nonetheless, he was very excited to have such a wonderful teaching aid ("Don't cheat on your regents, boys and girls, or I'll let Harry out of the tank.").  So, as turantula's go, it was pretty cool.  No idea how it got there.  I've heard of them showing up in the area on bananas, but why it was in the driveway is beyond me, especially since it was still a bit chilly out.

- Pam