From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:59:04 -0700
I'd be willing to bet this is a hoax.  That .EXE file is a legit Windows
file.  Deleting it may not have immediate consequences but could cause
problems down the road.

Be suspicious of any virus warning that doesn't come from via a
reputable antivirus software company or a CERT.

Mike Freeman < K 7 U I J >

Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 11:25 AM
Subject: Virus alert and I had this one!

Subject:  Important....not a forward

PLEASE READ THIS. I DID HAVE THIS VIRUS.  PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
THAT
IS IN THIS MESSAGE.

ok..read all of this...I thought it was crap...but I had the teddy bear
file....it deleted with no prob.....
The following was sent to me by a friend.  At first I thought, yeah
right.
But, just to be sure I checked my files and, low and behold, there it
was.
Since I didn't recognize it as something I saved, I followed the
directions
and deleted it in both places as instructed.  I hope this does not cause
you
any trouble.  I apologize in advance if it does-Anne

Don't ignore this email!!!

There is a new virus that can't be detected by antivirus software.  It
is
sent to you from someone elses address book.  I sends it automatically,
even
if you don't send any emails, to everyone in your address book!!!

My address book has been infected with this virus, from your address
book as
a result, so has yours because your address was in my book. The virus is
called
jdbgmgr.exe. It cannot be detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus programs.  It sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the
system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book,
whether or not you send e-mails.  In essence, because you are in my
Address
Book, you are likely to be infected.

If you follow the instructions below it is easy to get rid of. I didn't
really think I'd find it, thinking it might be a nasty joke.  Nope..
There
it was. Good luck!

  > To get rid of it:
  > 1. Go to start, then Find or Search
  > 2. In Files/Folders, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
  > 3. Be sure to search in your "C" drive
  > 4. Click Find or Search
  > 5. The virus has a teddy bear logo with the name jdbgmgr.exe
  > --DO NOT OPEN IT!!!
  > 6. Right click and delete it
  > 7. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there also.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.