From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:09:03 -0800
Boy, are you right about the nuisance of having to program a radio via
computer.  I don't make a habit of carrying a laptop everywhere.  And I
agree with you that I'd opt for ruggedness over bells and whistles.  In
fact, I'd just as soon have *no* memories:  if I can't remember
frequencies, then I'd better pack it in and find another hobby.  And I
figure that if it takes me more than two or three keystrokes from
*anywhere* in a radio's operations beyond those needed to enter
frequencies, the radio is too complex.  If I want to listen to something
while I'm out, I'll bring a book or CD.

And my "ruggedness test" would be to drop the radio from ten feet onto
concrete and expect not a scratch, loose knob, intermitent in the
circuitry or anything.  and my remote microphone test would be to swing it
around my head fifty times and expect it to work.  Seems to me that this
would be engineering time better spent than on frills.  But this would
mean real engineering time as opposed to jus redesigning software so guess
the companies won't pay for it.

Oh well!

Mike Freeman < K 7 U I J >