From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 16:21:08 -0600
I did look up zepp antenna on google.
apparently it's called a zepp because it was the type of antenna used on a
zeppilin, you know, the airship.
A zepp antenna, the original, is an end fed half wave radiator, using a
quarter wave matching network, and fed with latter line, or whatever it was
called in the 1920's and 30's.
the half wave radiator would dangle below the zeppilin.
Nowadays, the word zepp, is used to describe any sort of dipole arrangement
fed with latter line or paralel non-coaxial type feedline.
I've seen both open non-insulated latter line, and insulated latter
line...the second being the newer incarnation I suspect.
also heard it called window line.
It's much more difficult to obtain, so that is why it has fallen out of
common usage I expect...that and most people desire an antenna to be fed
with non-radiating coax to reduce RFI near the shack and house and to
maximize the RF power that reaches the tuned radiating elements.
That and transceivers these days most certainly do not have a 300 or 450Ohm
connection on the back.
most tuners do, but again, availibility of that type of feedline is
difficult compared to 50 or even 75ohm coax.

73
Colin, V A6BKX