From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:46:29 -0600
We have discussed the pros and cons of switching power supplies here on our
list, and so, I was encouraged to do a little research into why it seems
some people have complaints about them creating hash noise, especially on 80
and 40 meters, while other people don't have any problems with them at all.
Here is what I came up with, and it seems to be consistent and with a very
high statistical correlation between when the power supply was built and the
hash noise problem.

In short,

1.	it appears that all of the switching power supplies that exhibit the
hash noise problem within the ham bands were built before 2011 or 2010.

2.	Not all of the switching supplies built before these dates have the
hash noise problem

3.	I could not find any switching supplies built after 2011 that
exhibited the hash noise issue

4.	All of the switching supplies have some level of hash noise, but the
reason why the newer ones don't have the hash noise problem on 80 or 40
meters or any of the ham bands anymore is because the manufacturers have
modified the circuitry to shift whatever hash noise their supplies might
exhibit out of the ham bands.

Conclusion: if you purchase any of the newer switching power supplies, you
should be fine. For the money, I found two brands that came out on top with
very positive reviews, Jetstream and MFJ, and between these two brands, I,
personally, prefer the Jetstream. Just to give you some idea, right now, R &
L Electronics has the Jetstream model JTPS28M,
28 AMP surge, 25 AMP continuous, W/METERS, for $99.95, with free shipping.

If you don't want the metering capability and just want the lowest price,
you can purchase a similar supply without the metering capability for a
little less. Personally, I prefer the metering capability to let me know
more about what is going on with my gear; even if I can't see the meter
myself.