From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:11:08 -0500
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:57:24PM -0500, Lou Kline wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> While we are on the subject of power cords, if you want inexpensive cords,
> call R&L Electronics and check out the Jetstream after market cords that
> repladce the original manufacturers cords.  I think you'll find them to be
> substantially cheaper than the big boys.

Indeed. I can't say enough good about Jetstream. I bought one of the
Jetstream 28-amp switching power supplies (they make a 45-amp one,
too!) Anyway; it's very tiny and very light, perfect for a go-kit
should you need one for such a purpose. The little fan inside it is
very quiet, the supply stays pretty cool, and I haven't really heard a
lot of excessive yucky noise generated from it. It has your standard
binding posts, a set of spring-loaded terminals (the sort of thing you
just clip a wire into, sort of like what you'd find on the back of
your stereo to plug speakers into), and a cigarette lighter
socket. The cigarette lighter socket and binding posts are on the
front, the low-current spring-loaded terminals are on the back, and it
uses a standard three-conductor cord, sort of like what you plug your
computer in with. Really, it's quite the deal at about $80. Oh yes,
and it will also run on 220 if you need. I almost bought the MFJ
equivalent, but for less money, the Jetstream seems very solid, and I
haven't read about any of the quality control issues you sometimes
find with MFJ (i.e. some people swear by it, some swear at it).

Jetstream also has some very nicely priced dualband antennas, also on
R&L. (Note to self: Recommend one of the 14-amp Jetstream supplies to
Kristy, KC9HQH, so she can keep running the IRLP nets when her
batteries die...$50 for a 14-amp supply ain't too shabby.)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Email: [log in to unmask] or phone 888-75-BUDDY