From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:45:20 -0500
Hi Ron,

I missed the original message--sorry.

If your friend got the same modem I did (one assumes he did), he'll
want to go to this page:
http://192.168.1.1/nat.htm

Unless your friend has changed the admin details, the username is
admin and the password is password...if memory serves...I changed
mine.

You'l then want to set up a custom service. If the IP of the computer
in question doesn't change, it's probably better to set up port
forwarding. If your friend uses several computers on the network or
the IP address is likely to change, set up trigger ports. In either
case, you'll want to put in the port range 5198-5200 for UDP...if you
can, set up to pass both TCP and UDP.

I'll tell you now that if you don't have the actual configuration
pages, the Westell A327W router Verizon sent me is a right royal pain
in the ass and not at all friendly--because the main router page at
192.168.1.1 has a bit of Javascript in it that refreshes every 15
seconds or so, whether you want it to or not. Totally annoying,
completely gratuitous and unnecessary, but there you are.

I would recommend turning off wireless if not using it. The wireless
on these modems is set up by default for open, unencrypted access. If
using wireless, definitely encrypt it, at least with WEP and a
password.

If you need more help or clarification, and assuming Verizon didn't
change equipment providers, drop me a line or ring my phone.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV: Executive In Training!
Independent Watkins Manager #361534