From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:09:11 -0600
because, of course, everyone knows that terrorists would use a highschool
ham station to communicate right?
We haven't yet been subject to crazy laws putting limits on ham radio here
in Canada.
The legislative part of the government tends to leave the existing
legislation alone, and allows case law to form precident to guide that
legislation.  Industry Canada lets hams do pretty much what they want within
the existing legislation and law makers don't mess with a good thing.
We have however had some talk surrounding outlawing the use of sell phones
in Alberta, in a moving vehicle, but this is sell phones only, and does not
limit the use of other devices for communication such as two way radios.
When they make a law such as the one quoted for NJ which is trying to
universally outlaw the use of devices for written and verbal communication
for a driver of a vehicle, it is just asking for all sorts of problems such
as public safety vehicles, civic works vehicles, taxi cabs, and on and on.
Once they start making exemptions to the law to allow those persons and
services to use communication devices, it starts to undermine the law and
creates legal loop holes to allow other things to slip by which were the
whole reason the law was made in the first place.  Better to leave well
enough alone, or to make the law much more specific to address the real
issue and not become lazy in the verbage and make a sweeping reference to
all devices instead of the ones that are targetted.
73
Colin, V A6BKX