From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:19:40 -0600
David,

Your question was fine, I just couldn't pull the detent out of the junk.

Why are you looking at a 30 amp continuous power supply for a 100 watt
radio?

Are you firm on using a switching supply?  I know they are cheaper and
lighter in weight then the linear variety.

The one you are looking at cost $170 at DX Engineering.

May I suggest power supplies from Astron which are all made in the good old
USA and are fine products.  I would buy Astron.

Linear Supply:
Astron RS-35
25 amps continuous
35 amps peak
Internal voltage adjustment set at 13.8 from factory.
Weight 27 pounds
$176

Switching:
Astron SS-25

20 amps continuous
25 amps peak.
No voltage adjustment
Internal cooling fan
$120

Astron SS-30
25 amps continuous
30 amps peak.
No voltage adjustment
Internal cooling fan
$130

The above prices are from DX Engineering
dxengineering.com

Currently there is free shipping so you wouldn't have to pay a big shipping
price on the 27 pound linear if you chose that one.

Personally, I would buy linear supplies as they are simpler and probably
more reliable.  Just my opinion.

Of course, they are heavier and larger than their switching counterparts.

I hope this is helpful.

Howard #3