From:
"Jim Kutsch, KY2D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:20:05 -0500
David,
Let me add to what Steve said. I looked up the Daiwa ss330w and indeed, it's
a variable (5 to 15 Volt) power supply. Unless you need variable voltage for
something else, I agree with Steve. I'd advise you just stay with a fixed
voltage power supply. Personally, I like Astron too. I have several of them
and bought them all used for between $75 and $90.

Astrons come in a really wide variety of models. They make table top or rack
mount, full or "slim", fixed or variable voltage, linear or switching, many
various current capacities, and with or without meters. At first, it is a
lot to consider but (in my opinion) you can cut it way down by only
considering some of them. Here is a key to decoding the model numbers for
what you might want: SS is a switcher, RS is a linear supply. After those
letters, the next two digits are the max current, then an optional M means
it has a meter. All of these are fixed 13.8 Volt supplies. Here are some
examples:
SS30 is a 30 Amp switching supply with no meter.
SS25M is a 25 Amp switching supply with a meter.
RS12 is a linear 12 Amp supply with no meter.

The switching supplies are much smaller and lighter whereas the linear
supplies have the added weight and size because they have a large
transformer. The question of switching vs. linear supplies can become a
topic for much debate. Some switchers can be noisy on the RF bands but I've
found the Astrons to be very clean. Some linear supplies have a mechanical
60 Hz hum from the transformer. So, it's up to what you need for your
application. I used only switchers for ages but finally bought a linear
supply for my KX3 because it's a software defined radio and the "purists"
advise that a linear supply is preferable.

I have an RS30 for my Elecraft KX3 and KXPA100 linear amp. I have a SS25 for
my 2 meter rig. And have an SS30M for an AllStar repeater node which has
been running 24 x 7 for several years.

I like to search for used gear on www.qth.com in their used equipment area.
As I was typing this, I stopped and  did a quick search for Astron and found
several listed. Of possible interest were  an RS20M listed for $75 plus
shipping (which could be high since it's very heavy), an SS25 for $80
shipped, and an SS25 for $90 plus shipping. Plus there were several smaller
ones that wouldn't run your 100W rig. And those were just in the first 20
search results.

73, Jim