From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:11:54 -0600
Good thoughts here Mike.  I agree.

Thank You!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM

READING SERVICES MANAGER
ICBVI - IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED
P O BOX 83720
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012
208-334-3220 ext 104 or 103 +7 = voice mail non-business hours
fax  208-334-2963

>>> Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]> 09/27/01 09:25AM >>>
Some may call me "chicken" but I am *very* leery of soldering on the
current generation of manufactured gear.  Much of it uses such
space-saving wrinkles as surface-mount technology and therefore things are
crammed in so tightly that I can almost guarantee you that I'd ruin
something in the process of fixing something else or adding some new
gizmo.  Also when working with etched PC-board, it's not always easy to
figure out where things go by touch -- those photo templates just don't do
much for me.

I am more comfortable building things from scratch or from kits.

It's not that I am not adventurous or unwilling to carry on the ham
tradition of modifying gear etc.  It's just that I believe we're living in
somewhat of a different age with different building conditions and some of
this gear is sufficiently expensive that I am unwilling to make it the
subject of my crispy-critter experimentation.

Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Amateur Radio: < K 7 U I J >