From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 12:14:25 -0600
sorry, i'm not quite sure if you already figure out a solution, but here are
my thoughts.
If you are interested in running echolink using your hand held and another
radio in the shack as the main echolink box, then why not use the ts2000?
You have cross band capabilities with that rig, and, more importantly, it
has all the necesary features to easily run echolink on a per situation
basis.
What i mean is, when you want to use echolink, you simply hook up the
computer to the radio and set the frequency and turn echolink on.
Use the rig blaster pro and that way you could have it hooked up on
apermanent basis as well.  Personally, i just have a cable that I made up
that runs from the line out of the sound card to the mic input of the
ts2000, and then a cable running from my main radio mixer back to the line
in of the sound card.  I use the vox control on the ts2000 to control the
transmitter and just insure that my audio settings are set to where they all
sound good over the air.
A little complicated at first, but it works like a charm.
If you want a dedicated echolink node, running one on simplex with the
transmitting antenna near another antenna that you are using to receive on
the same band, say 2 metres, will not hurt anything.
There is this funny notion that allot of hams have, that if you transmit on
an antenna that is close by another antenna receiving on the same band, that
it will some how blow up the receiver in the other radio.
This might be somewhat true if you are using 1500 watts in the near field of
the receiving antenna, but on FM, and with a signal that is less then 60DB,
your not going to hurt modern receivers.
You'll dessence them of course, but it won't damage them.
anyway, if you already have a solution i didn't catch it.
73
Colin, V A6BKX