From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:51:07 -0600
the ic v8x series of icom HT's are quite accessible and easy to use from all
accounts.
They do have a menu system, but with a manual in electronic format, you can
usually figure out how to set everything on your own.
It doesn't have control software, but it does have cloning software, or
software to load memories and change settings.
They're very nice little HT's.  You can also check out the IC T2H, which is
a cheaper HT from Icom, but also very accessible and reliable and easy to
use.  I believe the V8 is also cheaper and has the same accessible features.
The v85 has a few options you won't even use probably...like the ability to
install the ut108 for paging and digital id stuff, weather alert for US
only, unless australia has the same system in place.  It is also more
expensive due to the 7 watt, as opposed to typical 5 watt, output.  This is
really no great shakes as 7 watts verses 5 watts on an HT won't make any
significant difference when it matters.
All that said, for less then $200 us, it is a very good deal.
The nice thing about most icom ht's is that they are built very ruggedly and
can withstand being dropped or knocked over, or knocked off
tables/counters/desks with sickening regularity.  Allot of HT's, especially
the kenwood and alinco's can't withstand heavy treatment like that.
I've had two ic t2H's and they have both gone through some pretty bad
treatment, accidentally of course.  BUt they've both survived and had little
to show for it.
73
Colin, V A6BKX