From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:09:45 +1300
Hi!

Yep, that's the area I had in mind.

73,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: For blind ham radio operators [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Buddy Brannan
Sent: Friday, 19 February 2016 3:32 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A question about the Baofang hand helds and mobiles

The only certification for amateur gear of which I am aware is for =
amplifiers that work between 25 and [something, I forget], presumably to =
combat illegal CB gear or some such thing. Otherwise, the only =
certification for anything really sold in the US would be for Part 15, = if
anything (for unintentional radiators). Other than power amps though, =
there is no "part 97 certification".=20

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194=20

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 8:56 PM, Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]> =
wrote:
>=20
> we are fortunate in Canada in that radios used in the amateur radio =
service=20
> do not require type acceptance by our government, that being
> Industry=20=

> Canada.
> The radios must meet regulatory emitions when they are transmitting =
and that=20
> is all.
> So, any of the Chinese radios are perfect as long as they don't =
transmit=20
> spirius RF outside the ham band and meet requirements for harmonic=20
> interpherence...and with the acception of some of the early HT's and =
mobiles=20
> from more than 5 years ago, they all meet those emition standards now.
> I know the regulations in the US are slightly different, but they
> are=20=

> regulations, and technicalities within much broader legislative =
documents=20
> which are designed to regulate a service rather than criminalize users
> =
or=20
> make specific equipment illegal within the amateur service.
> So while you can argue the legalese until your blue in the face, as =
amateurs=20
> we are responsible for operating our equipment in line with good and =
correct=20
> operating procedures and practices rather than getting entangled in =
small=20
> poorly understood or poorly defined technical regulatory matters.
> Few of us are lawyers, and so we are not expected to be able to =
interpret=20
> and be able to understand some vague or small technical detail of a=20
> regulation...we can operate our equipment ethically, and in line
> with=20=

> amateur guide lines.  It doesn't matter if the radio we are using was
> =
made=20
> in china and doesn't have a sticker on it...if it meets basic =
technical=20
> requirement to be used without harmful or purposeful interpherence to
> =
other=20
> amateurs or other licensed spectrums then it is perfectly fine to use.
> I have not heard of one single insident where a ham operator has
> been=20=

> charged or other wise fined or criminalized for operating a radio
> that=20=

> wasn't officially type accepted.  That is out of 800 thousand hams in
> =
the=20
> US.
> How about all these home brew rigs that hams use? are they type =
accepted by=20
> the FCC? not at all.  They are still legal...they are legal by the=20
> definition of not being built by a commercial entity being paid to do
> =
so,=20
> but the end result is precisely the same.  Now operating out of band,
> =
or=20
> operating with more than the legal limit are different things because
> =
they=20
> do cause interpherence to other parts of the radio spectrum and to =
other=20
> amateur operators.  However, even there, if you are operating 10,000 =
watts=20
> out in the middle of no where, and your stations transmitter is clean
> =
and=20
> doesn't cause anyone any interpherence, and you are a good operator =
not a=20
> jerk, you aren't doing anything criminal or wrong.
> If you operate 10K in the middle of New York City and blast everyones
> =
TV's=20
> and stereos and splatter all over the band and interphere with local =
AM=20
> broadcast stations, then obviously your going to get in trouble for =
it.
> If the posted speed limit on the highway is 65Mph, and you are doing =
75 and=20
> driving properly and with care, your not going to get pulled over most
> =
of=20
> the time.  If you are doing 60Mph in a 20MPH school zone, your going =
to get=20
> in trouble.
> The thing to remember in all this back and forth about radios being =
type=20
> accepted or legal or whatever, is that your not committing a criminal
> =
act if=20
> you do happen to use equipment that doesn't meet the exact letter of =
the=20
> regulations.
> There are pretty specific criminal acts that you can commit, using
> a=20=

> non-type accepted radio is not one of them.
>=20
> 73
> Colin, V A6BKX
> -----Original Message-----=20