From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:51:07 -0400
Hey John,

Actually, Yaesu HT's used to be very blind-friendly--right up through
the FT-530. The FT-51 somewhat less so, and I understand the FT-50 was
actually good too. (The FT-51 wasn't bad, but I must say the FT-530
was pretty phenomenal.) I had an FT-470 a long time ago--in fact, my
first dual-band HT--and I know all the functions were pretty
useable. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the buttons very well
(sorry), but Brent might...think he still has one. Here's what I
remember though:

Above the number pad were four buttons. The first was the call channel
button; the second changed from the 2-meter to 70-cm band (different
beep for each, as I recall); third turned on and off the sub-receiver
(definitely different beeps for that), the fourth was reverse.

Now bear in mind that I bought this radio in 1992 and had it stolen in
1993. (Actually, I bought it right after Christmas 1991 and had it
stolen on New Year's Eve 1992.) So I'm very fuzzy on details. Still,
it had separate volume controls for both bands. If memory serves, the
A touch-tone was up arrow, B was down (Hold down to initiate
scanning). I *think* D was the function key. Pressing a two-digit
number (or a one-digit one, too) followed by the * key went to that
number memory. Function then 2 put you in to set the PL tones, I
think. Function and 3 was *definitely* power level. Function/6 was
offset. Sorry, I don't remember anything much else though.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3   | "And if the ground yawned,
Phone: (814) 455-7333     | I'd step to the side and say,