From:
Lynn Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:29:10 -0500
Phil,
Do you live in the city or a more rural setting? If the closest neighbor's
house is 30 feet or less I wouldn't spend the extra money on a breaker box
surge protector, I'd just keep the cheap protectors on some of the more
valuable appliances and invest in UPSs for the computer(s). If you get a hit
on the AC line once in twenty years I'd be surprised. Notice I didn't say
the ham tower. For it there are grounding and lightning protectors
available, including some substantial ones.
On computers I'd recommend putting a UPS to give some power glitch
protection. An inexpensive computer-grade UPS isn't the best though for ham
radios, in that many computer UPSs put out a modified sine-wave in lieu of
the clean sine-wave power that Astron power supplies probably work best on.
Most radios won't be hurt by momentary drop in voltage, but computers may go
bonkers by an eye-blink on the AC line.
Lynn