From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:26:16 -0400
Fifteen meters opened sometimes last winter.  During the February CW DX
contest we had a good opening to Japan from the East Coast.  It didn't
continue into the phone weekend two weeks later.  In March, one morning I
worked Kazakhstan on 15 in the morning.  Other locals have worked some good
east Asia stuff on 15 in the mid-morning.  Two weeks ago I worked several
Scandinavians on 15 SSB during the SAC contest on Saturday morning.  Since
there are few beacons on 15, someone has to get on it and break the ice.
Check the broadcast stations above 21450.

The solar flux index is in the low eighties right now.  I think it was still
in the 70's at this time last fall.  The cycle is getting off to a very slow
start, and it is predicted to be a low one, but I wouldn't count it out.  I
would especially look for activity on 15 meters this winter.  Next weekend
is the California QSO party SSB.  I'd bet that a lot of it will appear on 15
meter SSB.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls