From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2014 15:09:33 -0400
On the Ft950, if you set the CW bandwidth to 400 Hz or more, the receive
passband extends downward by 150 hZ from the offset, and increasing the
bandwidth raises the upper frequency limit.  Suppose your sidetone/offset is
on 500 Hz and you have set a 700 hZ CW bandwidth (the band is not very
crowded and you are scanning for signals).  Under that condition, you will
hear signals at pitches from 350 to 1050 hZ.  If you switch from CW to CW
Reverse, the signals you didn't hear (below 350 hZ pitch) are now above 650
Hz and you can hear them.  I don't use CW reverse for this purpose, though;
it's too confusing.
I always like to tune a CW band from high pitch to low.  If I leave the CW
mode in its normal upper sideband position, this means that I will always be
tuning from the low to the high end of the band.  If I want to keep my habit
of tuning from higher to lower pitch, but want to tune the CW band segment
downward, I would use CW Reverse.  This would also mean that I adjust the
main tuning knob counter-clockwise instead of clockwise, which would be
consistent with the tuning direction of my Drake C-line, which was on lower
sideband for its CW operation.
So this is a feature that only some people will likely use.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com