From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:05:54 -0400
    Tom,

What you are trying  to do  turns the antenna into  something like a top
loaded Marconi.   The entire feedline becomes the radiating element and the
102 foot wire becomes the capacity hat.   Some guys do it, but why bother?
It needs a *very* good ground at the transmitter end.   More than just a
wire running to a ground rod.   You can make it load up, but how successful
will you be?

In roughly the same space you can run a shortened dipole that will resonant
on 160 and give you good results without  trying to reinvent the wheel.

I tried  the g5rv thing a few years ago with modest results in QSO's and
fantastic results in  RFI due to poor ground.  The loaded dipole I'm now
running is 124 ft. total with 106  across the top and 18 hanging down from
one end.   With 100 watts and just puttering around in some 160 contests,
I've nailed 47 states and 25 countries.   I'm glad I chucked the G5RV.

73 Steve KW3A