From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:22:53 -0500
I don't have the specs on the counterpoise that has been mentioned here, but
if you are using the Butternut STR (stub tuned radial kit) the 4 wires are
each around 33 feet long.  You will have to supply  some light rope to  tie
to the insulators on each end and  tie the rope off to  something.    Light
nylon mason's twind you can get at   Home Depot is plenty strong enough and
held mine up for years.  20 pound or stronger fishing line would  work in a
pinch.

The STR kit also has a roll of wire to cut for the 30 and 75/80 meter
radial.   The 75/80 wire will be  over 60 feet long, depending on what
frequency you  cut it for.

In a perfect world, the radials should  fan out  in four equally spaced
directions.  Many antenna installations are a compromise.  Just do the best
you can.   You may notice better  performance in  some directions, but at
least you will be on the air.

In your part of the country, and with an antenna so close to the house, I
hope you have considered  lightening protection for your setup.   A whole
other thread, but  worth looking into before the  spring and summer storms.

Steve KW3A