From:
COLLEEN ROTH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 15:34:40 -0400
Hi,
Well that couple were interdependent and couldn't admit it.
Wouldn't it be nice if people just learned to do the things that could do help others with the things they can help with and go from there.
My mother-in-law didn't want my husband to marry me because she wanted someone to take care of him.
Never mind that he had his Master's Degree, lived in his own apartment, did some minimal cooking and laundry.
I guess since I am totally blind she didn't think I would be able to cook. Well I surprised her.
She did think it was terrible when our daughter was in the hospital because I wouldn't go home to cook supper for him.
I told her my place was with our daughter who was multiply-handicapped. I stayed right at the hospital with Monica.
Child care was my responsibility. That was fine with me.
I did it or arranged for someone else to do it.
This is what worked for us.
My husband was lucky enough to have a good job and just retired after thirty years. He has been retired about 5 years now.
We dealt with privacy by having separate checking accounts. I am his account but have never used it.
I have very close friends write checks for me.
I just starting using a debit card in March.
We just need to work together and not think about who does more in a relationship.
There are exceptions if someone can do more than they do.
I never planned to get married but I didn't think about whether the person was blind or sighted.
I think this should be a secondary consideration.
Colleen Roth