Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:46:55 -0600
HI folks,

wHen I've an hf rig going at the house, which is not where I live
currently I"m always monitoring 14.300 mhz if the rig isn't busy
somewhere else.  This is true even if I'm doing audio production work
where I don't have open microphones and need to silence the radios.

I'm also quite active as a traffic handler which means I have
commitments many times even if the forecast may call for
thunderstorms.

My vhf rig also sits on a simplex frequency in case the xyl calls.

IN short, I listen to theweather forecast frequently during daytime
hours.  IF I'm hearing an increase in static crashes on hf I take a
look around outside at what the weather is doing at my location
visually, yes I'm a low partial but can tell what the cloud cover is
like.
If I'm hearing a static burst once in awhile on vhf with the squelch
almost all the way open then I know for sure it's time to disconnect
everything, even if I'm in the middle of a net where I'm acting as net
control.  I'll get somebody else to take the net real quick and
unplug.

Even at 3:00 A.M. when I've an hf station wher I live we're monitoring
14.3 megahertz in case a boater or missionary would call for help.
The xyl's also got a pretty keen sense of hearing and many times
during t-storm season sh e'll wake me up and tell me to go unplug
everything from the coax switch.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Braille:  support true literacy for the blind!