From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:59:00 -0500
Hi Steve,
I didn't realize that this Yahoo tracking had been going on since 2003.  I
just opted out today and have gotten messages from four others who opted out
today also.
I know that google also keeps track of our web searches, but I haven't
figured out,how to opt out of that one yet.

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
Skype, bobtinn
Life is full of challenges, that's what makes it interesting!

Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:24 AM
Hello all, I've received this via e-mail from another ham from
another Yahoo group and thought you may be interested in reading
this. I have not as of yet changed my setting but wanted to bring
it to your attention in case you wanted to do so for yourself
73 W8RIT
"Attention Group this has recently come up, and personally I would
advise all members to follow the link, and opt out as suggested.
Whether you do or not is entirely upto you of course.... I have :-).
See Below
Dave G3VFP
As part of our continuing efforts to serve our list-members we will
pass along any general Yahoo Groups-related announcements that are of
relevance to all of you such as the one below:
Yahoo is Tracking Group Members
If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using
"Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to
cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you
visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
privacy statement at
http://info. yahoo.com/ privacy/us/ yahoo/details. html
About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will
see
a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.
Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left
find a box entitled "Opt-Out."
In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the
opt-out button on the next page.
Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out
of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you
will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.
Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but
I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all
users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that, a few years ago.