From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2015 01:18:06 -0500
Hello Group,

A matter has come to my attention with reference to a major plan in the
Western New York area to establish a series of All star simplex nodes on
frequencies within the frequencies allocated for simplex on 2 meters and
70 centimeters.  These nodes will be interchangeable and under the total
control of one individual in the area.  He claims the right to establish
these anywhere without the approval of anyone who habitually uses the
frequencies.  No individual on these frequencies locally will have any
ability to disconnect from the nodes that will be run from a major
repeater set up in the local area.

I have a few questions.

1.  Does this individual have the right to do this at all?
2.  If so (and I believe there is significant precedent for doing so)
can he conceal the disconnect tones so that people wanting to use the
frequencies for local simplex have no right to do so?
3.  What is the legality concerning the identification of such nodes.  I
would assume that they must ID every ten minutes, but the individual has
informed me that he can probably fix it so they are always connected and
there will be no ID--thus we can never be sure if we are local simplex
or over some worldwide network.
4.  If the system is mobile and if this individual chooses to set up the
node on frequencies to which we have switched to avoid the worldwide
network, what legal rights do we have to prevent this? Could this be
considered a form of harassment?

Personally, I believe that simplex nodes should be limited and
individuals establishing them should be forced to give the disconnect
codes out to those who habitually use the frequencies.  I believe this
is probably not an FCC requirement, but if not, what could be done about
this situation?

--

Signature:
They ask me if I'm Happy, I say "yes."