From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:54:00 -0700
I like the 2000 a lot, although it is a little pricy.  I also got the
version with the 1.2 gig.  Figure I'll do some satellite work some day.
Of corse, I priced an antenna at a e s and they want $200 for the comit
144 440 and 1.2 gig base antenna.  May be a cheaper route to go.  Have to
look into that.

Back to the rig, I like it a lot.  I played with the 746 pro and the 2000.
I actually thought the 746 pro had a tiny bit better d s p, but the
synthesizer on icoms only speak freq, not the menus.  The synthesizer on
the 2000 speaks s units, memory number and freq, and the manus also speak
and are easily set by a total.  That is why I opted for the 2000, and I
decided to go with the satellite version.

I like the radio a lot, although I don't find myself using the dsp much.
With the line noise I have here, it doesn't seem to help that much, but I
haven't tried adjusting the d s p either.

Also, on a sort of down side, the guy who makes the q s y key boards
doesn't make one for the kenwood.  I wrote him a while back and to make a
long story short, he doesn't plan to do so.  I'd sure recommend that
keyboard for the 706.  I did buy the optional mc 57 mike for the 2000 at a
cost of $80 and love it.  You ahve control of a lot of stuff right on the
mike.  You can enter memories, frequencies and so forth.  You have a voice
button and 4 function keys you can redefing on the mike.

Hope this helps and makes a little sense.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr