From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:43:28 -0400
Hi.

I did that for a long time during the days when I was an apartment
dweller.  I still have one mag mount antenna up in the attic for a backup
antenna, but nowadays, my primary antennas are on the roof.  It was one of
the reasons why I gave up renting and bought a house.

Sometimes I think I should have my head examined when things are breaking
right and left, but most landlords probably wouldn't let me have the
antenna farm, and although they couldn't stop me from having the dog, it's
also nice not to have the hassle.

I can imagine the intermod.  It would be like Rochester times ten thousand,
I think.  It's not too bad here, but I do have a hospital a little over a
mile away, and the pagers on top of it separate the men from the
boys.  Actually, considering the voice synthesizer in my Kenwood TMG707A, I
probably should say that it separates the women from the girls!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:22 AM 6/17/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>Lou,
>
>You're sure right about needing metal under a mag mount.  I lived in San
>Francisco for several years and used a 5/8 wave on 2 meters for most of
>that time.
>
>I did have it on a big iron skillet and it actually worked very well.
>
>I was even able to do quite a bit of work on simplex in the SF bay area
>with the thing and could even work distant repeaters.
>
>Actually, in San Francisco, it was almost better than an outdoor vertical
>because that place has to be the capital for intermods.  You'd have to
>hear it to believe
>it.
>
>Anyway, since I'm really looking for an antenna just to get going around
>here, a mag mount sounds like a fine way to go over the short run.
>
>Don

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]