From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:34:51 -0400
Hi.

I read your post, and remembered with amusement my novice rig--a Heath
HW16.  That radio had no S meter and was primitive by today's standards.  I
used to give every station I worked on 15 meters a 599 report because the
receiver in the HW16 was so stinking deaf on 15 meters that if I could hear
them, they deserved a 599!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 11:01 AM 6/19/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>it is impossible for any radio to do that because a radio can not give you
>readability...that is a relative measurement acording to the operator.
>the signal strength can be determined by the level of micro volts the
>receiver is receiving, so its an electronic measurement...readability is
>purely subjective, as is tone with an RST report.
>You can have a 5 by 1 signal, or even 5 by 0, if nothing is showing on the
>meter but you can still copy everything the station is saying.
>Conversely, you could have a 4 by 5, or 3 by 5 signal, since the meter is
>peaking at 5 S units, but perhaps the QSB is such that you can only read 60
>percent of the other stations audio.
>I have always had an issue with stations giving me a 5 by 9 report when i
>can only hear them 5 by 1 or 2....personally i also have no problem giving a
>station less then a 5 on readability because if i truely cannot hear some of
>what they are saying, then it has to be a 4 or or a 3.
>73
>Colin, V A6BKX

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK