From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 21:30:12 -0400
Classic.wunderground.com was supposed to have closed down yesterday. When I
tried to go to that page, IE 11 was redirected to
classic.wunderground.com/mr . I don't know whether this is a site optimized
for mobile devices or not, but it is not at all the same as the classic
site. Lots of headings and lots of links. I'm not sure whether it would be
easier than the main www.wunderground.com site or not, but I suspect it
would be. They received a lot of angry criticism about their decision to
shut down the classic page, from sighted weather buffs who want things to
remain the same.
It is often difficult to determine what a website is doing, with the use of
cookies, JavaScript and information interchange that optimizes a site based
on the "user agent string" sent by your browser. This string tells whether
you are using Lynx, Netscape, FireFox, IE, etc.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com

I have not used braille.wunderground.com, although I knew of its existence.
That is until last Friday. Wunderground announced that they were no longer
creating a classic.wunderground.com site, which I had been enjoying. It had
multiple tables and links, as well as a link to the latest from the local
National Weather Service offfice. But they said that their classic site was
too difficult to maintain and it was time to move on and use the regular
www.wunderground.com site. My first couple of experiences with that site and
Window-Eyes 9.1 were not very encouraging. Besides, apparently
wunderground.com has been bought by The Weather Channel, so we can expect
more commercial stuff and graphics as time goes on. Braille.wunderground.com
seems to be coded with a few more words and possibly simplified language,
and no obvious controls for Fahrenheit vs. Celsius, and other preferences.
We'll see what happens next.
Perhaps this is why Lowell, W8QIY, feeds his weather station data into a
different network these days.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com