From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:14:04 -0700
Butch,

I sort of remember now you saying something about losing some gear although
you had a breaker box surge protector.  I forget now who responded already
and asked where I was.  Since I'm in town and other homes are within a few
feet of me, it probably isn't all that necessary.  The electrician who did
my new breaker box a couple of weeks ago and pulled some new wire into the
kitchen and my office so I could have separate breakers, said he would dig
up some literature on the different breakers and what they claim they can do
so my son and I could look it over.  Of course, I don't have a trapped
vertical on top of my 65 foot tower with 17 radials that were 60 feet or
better any more either.  Nothing like putting up a perfectly good lightning
rod in the middle of the summer.  It was up just two weeks before it got
hit.  Tripped every breaker in the box, burned up a phone, and popped a
couple of diods in my old Ten Tec radio which wasn't even hooked up to
anything at the time.  My ears rang from the bang in the radio room for
about an hour.  I'm probably sterilized now from standing in the huge
envelope of electrical energy which means I won't be fathering any more
children.  Wait.  That's a blessing.  I have six grandchildren already and
that's double the number of kids I have.  I was leaning up against my desk
talking to a friend in the room at the time.  A metal office desk, mind you,
when the bolt came in and flashed over the coax switch back to ground.
Scared the crap out of me, too.  Burned up the 18 AVQ verticl and the coax.
Blew the top three feet off the vertical, dad gummit, and my neighbor said
he was standing at his back door watching the lightning show when he saw the
bolt hit my antenna.  Wonderful.  Man, did that antenna work for those two
weeks, too.

Phil.
K0NX
Echo Link:  224 629