From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:31:51 -0500
Hi John..

Yes, that radio will take either the YK88CN or the YK88C filter depending
upon whether you want 270 Hz or 500 Hz filters.  I've always bought the 270
Hz filter for all of my Kenwoods. I think it is a worthwhile improvement
over just using the IF Shift, and the combination of the IF Shift and the
YK88CN is really tight.  I never did bother with the 1.8 KHz SSB
filter--the stock filter seemed satisfactory to me.

I also had the DFC 230 digital frequency controller which plugged into the
VFO jack and gave you a digitally synthesized VFO and 4 channels of
memory.  Unfortunately it wasn't battery backed so it would go back to
wherever the bottom of the VFO coverage was as soon as you powered the rig
down.  But the DFC230 had decidedly less drift than the internal VFO, and
it also gave me the capability to work splits.  Although the DFC230 was
introduced with the Kenwood TS130S, 530S, and 830S, it is backwards
compatible to the TS120S as well.

Something to keep in mind if you ever see one somewhere and you decide to
hang onto the TS120S (and I would just to have the spare radio).

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 06:26 PM 2/26/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>I think I figured out how to put it in CW, just there is no narrow filter
>for CW in it. I'd like to see if I can work it in the club's field day this
>year for a workout if it's ready by then so I might have to add the filter
>for that. The night time crew is CW only from midnight to 6 AM and they'll
>want that filter in it. I think that's the YK88CN, I can find them any day
>of the week. As long as it's not as bad as the TS-440 to put it in I'll be
>happy.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]