BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hilary L. Hopper" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:12:28 -0400
Ok Ok I lived in New Brusnwick NJ for seven years.... a Superfund site on
the north end (Kin-Buc Landfill, one the floodplain) and on the south end (A
to Z Chemicals, whose lawyer was also New Brunswick's mayor) and undiagnosed
ones inside the town. This experience prepared me to help fight a
Jersey-owned landfill in Kentucky, once I moved there in '92... where the
local residents saw a landfill that maybe leaked into a cave system, I saw
the beginning of an endless supply of Jersey and NY garbage, Mob-run, moving
in. Events since then have not proved me wrong.....
        Anyway when I lived there I realized that the garbage trucks and
parking lots were bigger than in any other place I had ever resided
(!!Including LA)

        So one day I was moved to write a single, great, line of poetry
about New Jersey. So put my house, 185 Baldwin Street, New Brunwick, on your
Great NJ poets route. Here is the line:

        It's a Saturday in New Jersey, and the parking lots are full.

Frank Popper, planner at Rutgers, stole the line as an opener for a NY Times
Op-Ed piece about NJ. He apologized to me for doing it, but on the other
hand saw no need to give me credit. But we be big pals to this day (he &
wife Debra are the Buffalo Commons originators)

Hilary LH
Your geographer friend in KY