From:
Sami Garzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:12:32 +0200
    Another beginner question... (... Remember we all started somewhere...
:)

    In my system (94Mg free on my 2.5Gg Hard Disk, my system is a Win98
running on a Pentium166Mhz with 48Mg RAM. I'm planning to soon replace the
Hard Disk to a 10.2Gg one), I have the HD divided into 2 separated
partitions -- 2Gg are for the Win98, and .5Gg are for the Linux. The two
partitions are entirely separated, drive C (win) does not know about drive D
(linux) and drive D doesn’t knows about drive C.

    As I say, I'm planning to update my Hard Disk to a 10.2Gg. My plan is to
divide this disk in 3, a (big, principal) partition that will have Win98
installed, a second partition with Linux and a third Partition for another
(entirely separated) installation of Win98. I'm going to separate those 3
partitions, in a way that any one of them can recognize the other, but I
wanted my old HD to be a Global BackUp Unit recognized by all. That is, I
want to BackUp my work from Win or from Linux in this drive, being capable
of reading a file backed up by linux in win and vice-reverse. Is there a way
to do this in this form?

    I've never used PartitionMagic, but understand this is a powerful
application and that can help me. Anyway, I
have some questions. How do I use PartitionMagic in the new HD? I need to
install the new disk as slave and apply the PartitionMagic from the current
disk and only after that reinstalling the disk as master? (I'm asking this
because
the new drive will have no system on it at this time, but maybe it's better
to install a system on it (win, for instance) and apply the PartitionMagic
over it). What procedure should I use? Can PartitionMagic allow / forbid a
drive to recognize other drives? If not, what can I use? Is there a need to
low-level formating the HD before partitioning it? How can I do this?

    I hope I’m not too much complicating a simple matter… but this issue is
scaring me :)
      Thank You;
        Sami Garzon :)

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: