From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:35:13 -0600
At 06:32 AM 09/13/1999 , Jun Quin wrote:
>Sami Garzon wrote:
>
> >          I was planning to buy a 10.2Gg Hard
> > Disk, but I've seen another one, 14.4Gg with good price. I was
> > wandering if my system will receive it. A few month ago I would not
> > concern, but after joining this wonderful mailing list I've seen some
> > posting telling that 16 is a very big size, and that there may be some
> > problems in the BIOS to recognize it. Should I worry? My system is a
> > Pentium 166Mhz with 48Mb RAM and a 2.5Gg HD with win98 and linux.
>
>It's hard to say if you don't tell us what's the bios version of your computer.
>However, most Pentium mobo I have seen have limitation upto 8G IDE harddisk.

Just to add a bit to Jun Quin's answer, here are the Bios versions that
support hard drives larger than 8.4gigs, (the Bios is the key to using
a hard drive larger than 8.4gig, the Bios must support it).

Phoenix
Phoenix Bios v4 rev6 or greater is required.  Version 5.12 does not
support the large drives.  See Phoenix for more information:
    http://www.phoenix.com

Award
Award BIOS dated after November 1997 will support drives greater
than 8.4 GB.    http://www.award.com

AMI
AMI BIOS versions with a date of January 1, 1998 support drives larger
than 8.4gig     http://www.ami.com/

The next consideration will be your operating system, since hard drives
larger than 8.4gig uses an Extended Interrupt13, the operating system
must support it also.  The current releases of Microsoft products do support
these large drives:
     Windows95 OSR2
     Windows98/98SE
     WindowsNT SR3