From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:10:01 +1000
The body doesn't store supplies of folic acid. We need to have it every day
for optimum health.

Folic acid supplements are essential in pregnancy, they have a strong
positive effect on pregnancy outcome. They reduce the risk of spina bifida
from say 1/400 to 1/800 Take 0.5mg per day. If there is a family history of
spina bifida, take 5mg . Check with your doctor for local recommendations.
Many foods are rich in folic acid, especially paleoffods. They are found in
foliage (hence the name FOLIc acid), fruits etc. I have a list on the work
computer- I'll try to post it tomorrow as "Folic acid". Supplements of folic
acid don't hurt- any excess simply goes down the toilet, cf deficiency
increases the risk of spina bifida. Rapidly growing tissues love folic acid,
and good general nutrition.
Folic acid is a powerful antioxidant vitamin and helps prevent heart
disease.
Cooking and processing probably reduce our intake even if we are paleo, so a
little supplement of folic acid is fine.  Most obstetricians in the world
would recommend it.
Ben Balzer