BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Shinola Heretics United"
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:59:46 -0500
From: CTBrown <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 10:35 PM

> Whats Kyanoil ?
_______________________________________

Kyanoil is (was?) a (pure?) alkyd resin product sold by Kyanize (sp?) Co.
somewhere up nawth. Someone on preservation-l informed me recently that it
is no longer made. I haven't had the time to track it down again. I did spec
it several years ago for stabilization of some punky plaster in a house that
had been calcimined, and it worked very well. I think it was first
recommended to me by Andrew Ladygo for this use. I believe that it was used
as a pre-priming treatment for the painted wood shingle roof installed on
Mount Vernon a few years ago.

I guess I better find out if it still exists. There's always Acyloid B-67,
which was recommended to me by Morgan Phillips. The Kyanoil (at that time)
was less expensive, and the owner opted for it. I suppose that the B-67
would be more vapor permeable? Got to find my file on this stuff...if I can
find my file cabinet.

John Horton

"Consolidate plaster, not power."