CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob and Karen Pavlicin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:33:48 -0500

I have Celiac and I am breastfeeding (exclusively--no other foods) my 2
1/2-month old son. I didn't have any gluten problems throughout my
pregnancy. Last week I had some hidden gluten contamination and I've
been gluten-sick for a couple days. Strangely, my son has been fussy and
tummy sick the same days. I can always distinguish between my
gluten-sick symptoms and the flu or other sickness.

Has anyone else had this experience? Can gluten, or I guess the
antibodies, pass through in breastmilk? Is it possible for it to affect
my son even though he hasn't had any formula or solid foods that may
trigger Celiac?

Please respond to me and I'll post a summary.

Thanks,
Karen