From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:03:54 -0400
Kerry Townley-Smith asked:

>Can you provide a list of the fruits and vegetables which contain
>salicylates or point me to a place that gives this info?

Willow bark was the original source for salicylates but many plant foods
contain them. In sensitive people, ingestion can cause hives. Here is the
list of foods with high levels:

apples, apricots, blackberries, boysenberries, cherries, currants,
dewberries, gooseberries, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, lemons, melons,
nectarines, oranges, peaches, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries,
strawberries, cucumbers, green peppers, hot peppers, potatoes (skin),
tomatoes, almonds, root beer and tartrazine (yellow dye number 5).

You can find a table of salicylate levels in fruit in Briony Thomas,
_Manual of Dietetic Practice_ (Blackwell Scientific Publications).

This web site has several articles along the left:

  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/5252/

Don.