From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:36:54 -0600
Todd Moody wrote:

> It would be useful to develop as complete a list of the root
> vegetables, common and obscure, as possible.  I suspect there are
> many that have become forgotten foods in developed societies.

Here is a beginning:
Roots, common:
  carrots, turnips, rutabagas, celeriac, parsnip, horseradish, beets,
  jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), radish, daikon, water chestnut,
  taro, yam, jicama, burdock, kudzu

Less common:
  scorzonera hispanica (black salsify)
  tragopogon spp. (salsify)
  chaerophyllum bulbosum (turnip-rooted chervil)
  stachys affinis (crosnes)
  medeola virginiana (cucumber root)
  bunium bulbocastanum (earth chestnut)
  sium sisarum (skirret)
  polymia sanchifolia (yacon)
  parsnip-rooted parsley

all the above are available from the Seed Saver's Exchange

Some edible roots from the western U.S.:

typha spp (cattails)
nuphar spp (pond lily)
Calochortus spp (mariposa, sego lily)
Camassia spp (camass)