From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:16:46 -0400
Sami,
Thanks for your response.  If you know of a way to check the BIOS when the
computer will not turn on, I'd be interested in hearing about it.  It is
very unlikely that any virus got into this machine.  I update Norton
AntiVirus weekly and this particular computer does not get email with
attachments.  If it did, the person who uses it exclusively besides myself
would not have a clue as to what an attachment was, let alone open one.

On other suggestions:  I have TRIPLE checked *ALL* the jumpers on the
motherboard.
I have not turned the case upside down and shaken it (lightly) to see if
extra screws fall out, but I have removed everything, including the
motherboard, leaving no place for anything to hide.

I removed all the cards from the system, except your video card and removed
all cabling from the motherboard: IDE, floppy, serial ports and parallel
ports.  I Left the power cable connected and the case power switch wire in
place.  I examined the power switch on the back of the case and it is indeed
set to 110v and not 220v.

Now, having only a motherboard with a processor, ram, video card, I tried to
see if it will post, (power up).  It would not.  I removed the CPU and
examined the main chip on the module.  It did not appear discolored or
browned.

Unfortunately, I have neither spare parts to try to replace the CPU, RAM or
video card for this PC, nor am I willing to risk problems with my
development platform by testing components from the ailing PC in it.  The
development box can only support CPU speeds at at max of 266 MHz, d does not
support PC100 memory and does not have an AGP video slot.

The supplier has agreed to swap motherboards and is shipping a replacement
early next week.

Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs FL
==================
Jerry,
did you try to check the BIOS. there is a strong chance that you got hit
by the cih virus. upgrade the bios ans see what happens.

> At 08:16 PM 6/17/99 , Jerry Rasmussen wrote:
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I have a PC that not only will not boot, but does absolutely nothing when
> >power is applied.  The PC consists of the following:
> >Asus P5A motherboard
> >AMD K6-2 366MHz CPU (not overclocked)
> >128 MB SDRAM DIMM (PC100)
> >Matrox Millenium II AGP video with 8 MB WRAM
> >56K Lucent Tech modem (PCI)
> >40X Asus CD-ROM (master on secondary EIDE channel)
> >1.44MB FDD
> >10.1 GB Western Digital EIDE DMA 33 HD (master on primary IDE channel)

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html