CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lydia Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:27:46 -0500

On Fri, 14 May 1999 , Carl wrote:

>I am curious about the effect of going onto the gf diet on how much
>insulin is needed for the same amount of food. I am insulin-dependent and
>have been on the gf diet since the middle of Feb 99. I EXPECTED that as
>the cillia began to heal I would need more insulin since more of the food
>would be properly absorbed.
>
>I have experienced the opposite. I have had to decrease the number of
>units I take even though I am eating the same number of calories, or
>perhaps even more.

I have been away for a few weeks, so my reply to this posting may be
repetitious. If so, I apologize. . .

I can only respond from personal experience. Having been put on a
glutren-free diet twice (first in 1987, most recently, and permanently, in
the last five months), I have needed to increase my overall insulin input.

The first time, I was on intensive injection therapy (4-8 shots daily), now
I am on the pump. In both cases, my basal needs (long-acting insulin in
injection therapy) increased. I assume this reflects the overall,
background "starvation" my body was suffering while untreated. In addition,
since I am now eating more protein from non-carbohydrate sources (my diet
leans very heavily towards fish and vegetables) and have decreased my
carbohydrate intake drastically, my bolus needs remain low.

Though I have been following the diet strictly since re-diagnosis, only in
the last few weeks have I seen a consistant level of absorption (judged by
consistantly solid bowel movements, reduced gastro-intestinal distress,
increased energy level, and a lack of unexplainable hypoglycemic episodes).

I remain lactose-intolerant, though I still hope to recover from that
secondary condition. My weight has gone up (see my previous lament in post
of  Wed, 7 Apr 1999) and I have had to change my eating habits
significantly to accomodate absorbing much more of my intake.

I wish you good luck in your efforts. I wonder about a few things: are you
recently diagnosed with diabetes? type 1 or 2? were you first diagnosed as
insulin-resistant?  perhaps you could ask your health-care providers about
insulin-allergies? is your new, gluten-free diet very low carbohydrate
(this could account for lower insulin-needs)? are you feeling better?

Best wishes, and thanks to those of you who responded with encouragement to
my introductory posting.

Lydia