CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan Tuckey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:52:40 -0700

Hi Fran,

> Welcome all to the new Celiac Diabetes Support List!
> As those who have both-- it is a unique and somewhat conflicting combo
> of diseases to combine. The high carbs of GF grains, and need to
> restrict carbs for diabetes control make for one heckofa juggling act.

You are so right!

> Can you tell me what snack in the evening you use to keep your morning
> fasting number from being too high?

My husband is the diabetic celiac in our family, but I am the chief cook
(and dishwasher). He controls his diabetes by diet alone and if he
strays too far off the diet the blood sugars will rise. The diet given
to him by a dietitian (before we knew he was celiac) gives him a starch,
a fat and a protein exchange for his 9 pm snack. If he is away from home
he will take with him one popcorn cake (rice cake) and one of those
little mini Babybel cheeses. If at home he will vary the snack by having
a popcorn cake with a tablespoon of peanut butter on it. Another
favourite snack is popcorn with butter and a pickled egg.

He tries to keep the readings inbetween 6 and 8 (for US multiply by 18).
Since being diagnosed with celiac disease the readings are more likely
to be between 7 and 8.5

Joan
--

Joan Tuckey - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Notes & Numbers, Edmonton, AB

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.