CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:11:08 -0800

Welcome all to the new Celiac Diabetes Support List!
As those who have both-- it is a unique and somewhat conflicting combo
of diseases to combine. The high carbs of GF grains, and need to
restrict carbs for diabetes control make for one heckofa juggling act.

Also....... perhaps we can find shelter from the plethora of recipies of
both celiac carb laden foods, and diabetes glutenous foods- here in this
no man's land of combined diseases.

I have a question to pose to listmates:

Can you tell me what snack in the evening you use to keep your morning
fasting number from being too high?

We've been discussing the difference (on the Lehigh diabetes support
group) between Smoggi & Dawn effects- the first comes from the body's
response of having too little insulin (hypo) in the night (a type 1
scenario), and the dawn effect seems to be the liver kicking out glucose
for a get ready to function in the morning mode, as well as determining
it needs something to work with while you sleep.(can be either type of
diabetic).

It seems silly that one would have to eat before going to bed to have a
lower AM fasting number.....but such is the case for some.
Some said protein..... others say carbs......

What works for you-- what exactly & how much-- (Quantity) & what fasting
numbers are you trying to obtain? I'm still trying to figure out the
right combination & some of the pre-fab diabetic foods (nite bites come
to mind) have gluten in them.

TIA~
Fran

--

mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Good humor makes all things tolerable ***