RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:35:58 EST
In a message dated 2/10/99 3:43:34 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I think that the main causes of osteoporosis in women are: menopause,
 lack of vitamin D, and lack of exercise; total calcium intake is less
 important.

 --Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>

Just returned from the World Vegetarian Conference in Thailand and "Iron Lady"
Ruth Heidrich was one of the top speakers.

For those unfamiliar with Ruth's History, she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer
in her mid 40's and went through the conventional treatment of surgery, etc.

Shortly thereafter she learned of the importance of diet and became a vegan.
Then she heard about the Iron Man and decided to "go for it!"

To shorten the story, she's since completed 6 Iron Man's and won thousands of
medals around the world along the way.

Further, she's made medical history by not only stopping bone loss AFTER
menopause, but INCREASING it!

About 8 months ago, Ruth was training for the Boston Marathon and was run over
by a truck. She suffered multiple injuries and (I believe) crushed hip, broken
leg and ankle, etc., which required putting an iron rod in her leg.

 Never one to give up, after her hospital stay Ruth started the arduous road
back to recovery and continued, on crutches, her lectures around the world.

When I met her in Chiangmai, she had thrown away her crutches and was working
out in the pool two hours a day plus an hour in the weight room, and advanced
to climbing steps. At 64 she is slim, trim, positive, bright, articulate and
beautiful.

gc

ps: For the record, Ruth is a strict vegan and eats predominantly raw, and
often has a salad or just raw veggies even for breakfast!;-)