RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:53:07 -0500
Hi Ellie,

Thanks for all the helpful posts and sensible comments on
diabetes/sugar/Aajonus' diet.

> Two years ago I though perhaps the good sugar was flusing out old bad
> sugar, but my glucose levels still go up pretty high, so I question > that
> theory.

I can't figure out how theories like that make any sense on a molecular
level, anyway - since everything we eat is broken down into small
molecules and either burned, eliminated, or stored. It's said that there
are specific foods that detox or help pull out of the storage sites
other specific foods. But foods, once in the process of digestion,
aren't really foods anymore, they're increasingly smaller and smaller
parts. I just don't understand how it would work.

> I had severe panceatitis, with scar tissue that shows up on
> x-ray, so I may have a permanently damaged pancreas. I have no fear of
> developing diabetes. I don't think diabetes is caused by natural > sugar,

I would think that it still would be possible even for people eating all
unprocessed or all raw foods to develop diabetes, if their diet was
"lopsided" enough, and they were susceptible to pancreas and
insulin-system problems. For instance, I could see a fruitarian
developing diabetes, or, someone on a raw diet who continually binged on
honey and dates and dried fruit and other "natural" sweet things, etc.
Why are you thinking that such a scenario is not possible?

> What I
> think Aajonus has found is that people who use his diet need less
> insulin, but I doubt if it has to do with eating honey.

I think what it has to do with is that his diet is primarily non-sugar
things, (am I right? - haven't read his book - but I get the impression
there's not a lot of fruit or other sweet things in it, outside of
honey).  I think Aajonus' diet helps control diabetes for the same
reason Atkins' diet, and Sears' Zone diet, and other high-protein diets
are effective - there's not a lot of sugar. This is the first I've heard
of the honey thing, though - what is his rationale or reasoning behind
the honey?

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)