RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Micaela Hoskins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:51:23 -0800
Rex:
>Not to break in on the good times, but while I'm quite familiar with adding
>kelp to chicken feed, fish meal seems new.  Do you know this for a fact?
And,
>is it known to help?

Kirt: wrote:
..., yeah, fish meal
gets  (got) into chicken feed. In fact if there is too much the eggs take
on a fishy flavor. I must add that this is one of the truly idiotic human
inventions ...I may be dated
a bit. Fish meal may be too costly these days to put into chicken feed, but
it sure was, and probably is.

Kirt, I do believe the food for livestock is 100% dependent on what is cheap
and produces the most growth.  I have had clients in both the chicken,
turkey and beef industries.  The chicken people when tomatoes were in season
would "sun dry" them on an airport runway, almonds were used to hide the
chicken coops.  The almonds were shelled and the shells went into the
chicken feed and nothing ever went to waste.

Both the eggs and the chicken meat are strongly effected by the feed.  One
chicken company feeds the chicken marigolds in order to get the yellow skin
tone.  A friend of mine will not eat free range chicken because he swears he
can taste the worms and other insects eaten by the chicken.

It is interesting to note that at one point the chicken feed was given to
the turkeys and many died.  I believe chickens have been domestic for along
time, but Turkeys only a handful of decades (my grandmother remembers the
first Turkey run in Texas).  It appears that the chickens have been breed to
be very adaptable.

Micaela