RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelli Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:13:04 +0100
> Thomas E. Billings wrote:
> >
> > I don't seek to be a nit-picker or anything, but as I understand it,
> > chocolate has little or no caffeine. Instead, it contains a compound
> > that has a similar effect -- theobromine.

I had never heard of theobromine, so I did some checking. This site has lots
of info on caffeine, theobromine, etc.

> http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cpage/caffeine/FAQ1.html#1

It has conflicting info, however. In the caffeine section it states that a
chocolate bar has 30mg caffeine (just a bit less than a 12 oz. soda). Then
later when theobromine is discussed it says that cocoa products have very
little caffeine but do have the weaker stimulant theobromine but at a
concentration 7 times greater than caffeine.

So I guess either way you could get quite a kick out of chocolate if you
aren't accustomed to eating it. :0)

Many other sites make the same assumption I did about caffeine being the
primary stimulant in chocolate--interesting to note that the vast majority of
sites aware of theobromine were the ones related to food safety for dogs and
cats.

Funny how much more aware of the facts people are when it comes to their pets'
health as opposed to their own...

Thanks, for your comment, Tom. I learned something.

smiles! Kelli