RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelli Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:01:13 +0100
Stefan Joest wrote:

> I didn't notice a direct problem with my health but there was one full
> week following my chocolate day in which I awoke in the middle of the
> night, not knowing where I was and what I did (lying in bed). It took
> me one or two minutes to become mentally clear.
> Therefore I conclude that the chocolate was the cause.
> Is it possible, that the milk which was a ingredience in the chocolate
> bar came from cows fed with wheat, so again a gluten problem? A natural
> doctor I asked told me that there are much more substances in chocolate
> which could cause crazyness.

I'm certainly no expert, but IMO the caffeine content of the chocolate
probably had something to do with your reaction to it. If you're on a strict
raw foods diet, then I would guess you don't have caffeine at all?

I've been off caffeine--including chocolate--for about 5 years and on the rare
occasions that I have unwittingly had chocolate or regular coffee I had
trouble sleeping and often awoke in the middle of the night similar to what
you described. I would also have terrible headaches. The caffeine or even the
sugar content seems a more likely, albeit much more simplistic :), reason for
your reaction.

Good luck in your search for answers.

smiles!

Kelli