RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 19:50:36 -0700
From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>:
>The raw community, as mentioned, is arguably a tight-knit group. So when
>dietary philosophies coincide, it seems the above luminaries have decided
>to steadfastly support the common cause: to disseminate the principles and
>benefits of the raw vegan diet to the general public.

Tom:
Indeed. Their endorsement (assuming they are aware of the continuing
plagiarism) suggests that they regard promoting raw as being more
important
than honesty and credibility. Obviously, that is an indictment of them
--
it raises serious questions about their credibility.

Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>:
>Of course it's altogether possible to do so without supporting plagiarists.

Tom:
I agree. There is no need for, and no excuse for, dishonest
promotional
tactics. Are raw vegan diets so bad that the only or best way to
promote
them is dishonest ways?  Is it ethical (or moral) to promote a
"compassionate" diet in dishonest ways? These are the sorts of
questions
the widespread collusion with plagiarists, raises about the raw
community.
[To a lesser degree, the many inaccuracies in the writings of John
Robbins,
raises the very same issue for conventional vegans.]

Because the ethical and moral issues are clear, the NFL behavior issue
has brought something very important to light. I have known for some
time
the the raw vegan movement is intellectually bankrupt in the sense
that
there is no real scientific basis for it. [There are a few
pseudo-science
cranks claiming it has a scientific basis, but their claims are
bogus.]
The widespread collusion and approval for plagiarism and hostility
that
one sees among the raw leadership, suggests that part of the raw
leadership
is morally and ethically bankrupt, as well.

Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>:
>Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Dr. Cousens and Dr. Kulvinskas are Essene
>ministers; and Rev. Owen is the worldwide head of his Essene Church of
>Christ. But this doesn't work for me. I mean, ordainment to the faith (or
>any faith for that matter) is not a prerequisite for ethical practices.
>Maybe I sound cynical (pragmatic?) but religious titles and dietary
>outlooks, from my experience, guarantee little about the inner person.

Tom:
Agreed. Jimmy Swaggart comes to mind - preaching the gospel while he
was hiring prostitutes.

Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>:
>The raw vegan community seems to have moved beyond (or disregarded) the
>underlying odor. Forgiveness or business decision: I won't speculate which
>(or both) but maybe the endorsement of the latest book is an isolated one?
>All I know is that this cowboy will keep his wallet stashed away until NFL
>undergoes a detox.

Tom:
My opinion is that for forgiveness to be given, there must be
evidence that the guilty party has apologized, made amends, and
stopped
the behavior. Yet the plagiarized book is still being sold, and I have
heard of no apology. Thus I am of the opinion that forgiveness is
not a factor here at all -- it appears to be a pure business
decision. Not only is raw more important than honesty, $$$ are more
important too. And that is further evidence of the ethical and moral
bankruptcy of a large part of the raw leadership.

Thanks for your interesting comments!

Tom Billings