RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:49:02 -0500
Hi Again Leah,

>  Being one of these "newbies" I would really appreciate it if
> someone (anyone) would explain to me what on earth is going on here?

This list has many list members (how many, David?), some
completely new to raw foods, and some who have _MANY_ years
experience with various raw-foods diets (including
fruitarianism, raw-veganism, instincto diets, among others).
Some people on this list have been experimenting,
discussing, reading, writing, and studying raw diets, and
the effects of foods, and the "dogmas" of the different diet
regimes, and the lives and behaviors of the different
"gurus" and authors, and the behaviors of people in the
different diet "groups," for a LONG time now. (Not me, I'm
pretty new to these groups myself).

Every so often a new person comes on the list and starts
saying things about what the best diet is, or making
statements about which foods are bad or good, or pretending
to be a food expert and giving (usuallly very simplistic)
advice to others based on their own opinions and agendas for
what others should eat.

Since the science (or art) of nutrition is very much still
in its infancy, most everything having to do with nutrition
is still a mystery. Furthermore, because it is a facet of
the biology of a complex organism, the process of digestion
is therefore very complex, involving an almost _infinite_
number of factors. And maybe most importantly, each
individual human being is VERY unique in his or her personal
makeup, so every one of us has very different nutrition
requirements, capabilities, problems, etc.

The important thing with diets is that people be encouraged
to think for themselves, experiment for themselves with
various diets and foods, and _make their own decisions_
about how and when and what they want to eat, what seems to
be best for their health, etc.

That was the long answer to your queastion. The short answer
is, that Alan came onto the list making the same old
familiar claims that have been heard many times in
fruitarian circles. And not supporting his claims with
anything logical. And telling _other_ people (yourself for
one) how to eat, based on his rigid extremist views.

For a more thorough "education" about raw diets, I would
suggest looking through the archives, if you can find the
time.

Hope that helps un-confuse you a little! :)

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)